Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Gluten Free Flour Mix for Baking

I use this mix as a 1 to 1 exact replacement in all of my cookie recipes, including my old family recipes. It’s never let me down. It’s also good if you like to eat some of the cookie dough because it doesn’t have any bean flour. If you’re using a flour mix that has bean flour in it don’t eat it. I know it smells good, but seriously. Don’t. I still have flashbacks from when I did that about four years ago. {shudder…}

I found the flour mix on page 6 of Annalise Roberts’ book – Gluten-Free Baking Classics. Make sure you get the extra fine rice flour. It is the reason this flour mix works. It’s very powdery. Not gritty at all. I think that one of the many reasons that GF products tend to fall apart is because the gritty rice flour doesn’t stick together well. With all of the other roadblocks to good GF baked goods, why not take one out of the equation. :)

For three cups of this flour mix you need:

2 cups Superfine Rice Flour (made by Authentic Foods)

2/3 cup Potato Starch (not potato flour)

1/3 cup Tapioca Flour (tapioca starch is the same thing in this case)

3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum

Mix all of this together thoroughly. I use a whisk to get it all mixed.

Now go make some chocolate chip cookies. And eat some cookie dough while you’re at it. Or dig out an old family cookie recipe and give it a try.

Locals note: If you live in the Sacramento, CA area, you can find the superfine rice flour at Sunrise Natural Foods in Roseville. For the tapioca and potato starches, as well as the xanthan gum, I use Bob's Red Mill (be sure to look for gluten free on the label), which can be found at Sunrise Natural Foods, Elliott's Natural Foods and some Raley's and Bel Air locations in their natural food section.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the link to Authentic foods! have looked for and have needed to know about them for a long time! *blessings*

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome. I can't imagine life with them. It changed everything about my baking. :)

    ReplyDelete